u-boot hangs waiting for serial input

Dipanjan Das
I have compiled an older version of u-boot for ARM versatilepb board and
booted in qemu as: qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -m 128M -nographic
-kernel flash.bin

It boots fine, basic commans like `printenv` works. However, issuing
`loads` makes the bootloader wait indefinitely. No keypress works. The
prompt comes back if the command aborted by pressing Ctrl+C. I am not sure
if it is u-boot or qemu is misbehaving. Any suggestion?

--

Thanks & Regards,
Dipanjan

Re: u-boot hangs waiting for serial input

Wolfgang Denk
Dear Dipanjan,

In message <CAEK-7JK-c5+krRCmQZ45J2Nf3HRQtxLb4hvm2sdcrBQ=[hidden email]> you wrote:
> I have compiled an older version of u-boot for ARM versatilepb board and
> booted in qemu as: qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -m 128M -nographic
> -kernel flash.bin
>
> It boots fine, basic commans like `printenv` works. However, issuing
> `loads` makes the bootloader wait indefinitely. No keypress works. The
> prompt comes back if the command aborted by pressing Ctrl+C. I am not sure
> if it is u-boot or qemu is misbehaving. Any suggestion?

This is the correct, expected behaviour. "loads" starts an S-Revord
download over the serial line, so U-Boot is waiting for and readind
the input which it expects t be in SREC format.

What did you think "loads" would do?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: [hidden email]

Re: u-boot hangs waiting for serial input

Dipanjan Das
Hi Wolfgang,

> This is the correct, expected behaviour. "loads" starts an S-Revord
> download over the serial line, so U-Boot is waiting for and readind
> the input which it expects t be in SREC format.
>
> What did you think "loads" would do?

It was my fault, sorry for the noise. I was feeding garbage and expecting
some error in return. It works for valid SREC

Thanks & Regards,
Dipanjan