Quantcast

[U-Boot] android fastboot support on U-boot

[U-Boot] android fastboot support on U-boot

周书林
hi,
   Now I working on porting android fastboot protocol to U-boot,does
somebody add fastboot protocol patches to U-boot?
shulin

Re: [U-Boot] android fastboot support on U-boot

Detlev Zundel
Hi shulin,

>    Now I working on porting android fastboot protocol to U-boot,does
> somebody add fastboot protocol patches to U-boot?

Can yopu please tell me what the "the android fastboot" protocol is?

Cheers
  Detlev

--
Modern technique has made it possible for leisure, within limits, to be not
the prerogative of small privileged classes, but a right evenly distributed

Re: [U-Boot] android fastboot support on U-boot

Bas Mevissen-4

Resend, forgot to copy the list.

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:31:06 +0200, Detlev Zundel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi shulin,
>>
>>>    Now I working on porting android fastboot protocol to U-boot,does
>>> somebody add fastboot protocol patches to U-boot?
>>
>> Can yopu please tell me what the "the android fastboot" protocol is?

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fastboot

"Fastboot is protocol used to update the flash filesystem in Android
devices from a host over USB. It allows flashing of unsigned partition
images."

I was already wondering how feasible it would be to have a board with
USB slave behave like an USB memory stick to flash the firmware by
simply copying a file from the host to it.

--
Bas

Re: [U-Boot] android fastboot support on U-boot

Detlev Zundel
Hi Bas,

>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:31:06 +0200, Detlev Zundel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi shulin,

>>> Can yopu please tell me what the "the android fastboot" protocol is?
>>>

> http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fastboot
>
> "Fastboot is protocol used to update the flash filesystem in Android
> devices from a host over USB. It allows flashing of unsigned partition
> images."
>
> I was already wondering how feasible it would be to have a board with
> USB slave behave like an USB memory stick to flash the firmware by
> simply copying a file from the host to it.

Yet another alternative for the problem already solved by DFU[1]?  Damn,
after some recent activity in this area again I was starting to raise my
hopes that more people realize such a thing exists already :(

Thanks
  Detlev

[1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/USB_DFU

--
You see, the best way to solve a problem is to rigorously define it in
terms of other people's problems, and then run away quickly.

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:09:48 +0200, Detlev Zundel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yet another alternative for the problem already solved by DFU[1]?  Damn,
> after some recent activity in this area again I was starting to raise my
> hopes that more people realize such a thing exists already :(

OK, there appears to be U-boot support as well.
It needs a util on the host, but for development purposes that would be
fine.

A usb-storage like solution would be more flexible. It could have the
option to poke around in a jffs2 image while still in u-boot. Very nice
when the firmware doesn't boot or let you log in due to a small mistake
in the image.

But I guess that jffs2 R/W support in U-Boot is a bridge or two to far
:-))

--
Bas

Re: [U-Boot] android fastboot support on U-boot

Detlev Zundel
Hi Bas,

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:09:48 +0200, Detlev Zundel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yet another alternative for the problem already solved by DFU[1]?  Damn,
>> after some recent activity in this area again I was starting to raise my
>> hopes that more people realize such a thing exists already :(
>>

> OK, there appears to be U-boot support as well.
> It needs a util on the host, but for development purposes that would be
> fine.
>
> A usb-storage like solution would be more flexible. It could have the
> option to poke around in a jffs2 image while still in u-boot. Very nice
> when the firmware doesn't boot or let you log in due to a small mistake
> in the image.

Is that fastboot usb-storage based?  From the wiki-page that you
referenced I only see that you also need a separate host tool to use it.
So that's not much of a difference, is it?

> But I guess that jffs2 R/W support in U-Boot is a bridge or two to far
> :-))

And maybe a bridge I would not invest time anymore as UBI+UBIFS seems to
be the weapon of choice against the fallability of NAND devices.

Cheers
  Detlev

  - Ken Thompson.

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:11:38 +0200, Detlev Zundel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is that fastboot usb-storage based?  From the wiki-page that you
> referenced I only see that you also need a separate host tool to use it.
> So that's not much of a difference, is it?

No, the usb-storage based thing was something I had in mind as a
solution for easy firmware update and manipulation.

--
Bas

Re: [U-Boot] android fastboot support on U-boot

John Rigby-3
The omapzoom project has a u-boot with fastboot support.

http://git.omapzoom.org/?p=repo/u-boot.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/omap4_dev_fastboot

Beware, that the u-boot base rev is very old.