[U-Boot-Users] uploading OS over network instead of u-boot downloading it from a server.

[U-Boot-Users] uploading OS over network instead of u-boot downloading it from a server.

Brian S. Park-2
Hi all,
Is it possible to configure/modify u-Boot so that we upload OS image to it
and boot?
i.e. instead of u-Boot getting image from a tftp server, it waits for
network connection to receive the OS image.

If it is possible, we can save some money on flash since we only need to
put a flash large enough to hold u-Booot instead of u-Boot+Linux+file system.

Thanks.

Brian S. Park  brian at corelis.com  (562) 926-6727 x143
Everything we do helps our customers get to market
FASTER with HIGHER quality and LOWER cost

[U-Boot-Users] uploading OS over network instead of u-boot downloading it from a server.

Wolfgang Denk
In message <5.1.1.6.2.20030620145525.012aae48 at corelis.com> you wrote:

> Is it possible to configure/modify u-Boot so that we upload OS image to it
> and boot?
> i.e. instead of u-Boot getting image from a tftp server, it waits for
> network connection to receive the OS image.

No. So far U-Boot implements a TFTP client only. There is  no  server
fuctionality of any kind.

> If it is possible, we can save some money on flash since we only need to
> put a flash large enough to hold u-Booot instead of u-Boot+Linux+file system.

I don't understand this. How is this affected by U-Boot being  server
or client? You can do the same in both configurations. We have U-Boot
and  Linux  running  on systems with just a 128 kB EPROM (yes, a real
UV-erasable EPROM, you remember?).

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

At 12:19 AM 6/21/2003 +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

>In message <5.1.1.6.2.20030620145525.012aae48 at corelis.com> you wrote:
> >
> > Is it possible to configure/modify u-Boot so that we upload OS image to it
> > and boot?
> > i.e. instead of u-Boot getting image from a tftp server, it waits for
> > network connection to receive the OS image.
>
>No. So far U-Boot implements a TFTP client only. There is  no  server
>fuctionality of any kind.
>
> > If it is possible, we can save some money on flash since we only need to
> > put a flash large enough to hold u-Booot instead of u-Boot+Linux+file
> system.
>
>I don't understand this. How is this affected by U-Boot being  server
>or client? You can do the same in both configurations. We have U-Boot
>and  Linux  running  on systems with just a 128 kB EPROM (yes, a real
>UV-erasable EPROM, you remember?).

I understood/assumed 128k is for u-boot only.

The idea is to ship the product with small flash which is large enough hold
u-boot only.
It won't be practical (support nightmare!) for us to ask our customers to
setup a tftp server in order to use our product.
However, if the boot loader is capable of receiving the OS image over the
network, our PC side application can upload the OS and Ram disk image to
our custom board the first time it connects to it.

Is this not a good idea?

Thanks always.

In message <5.1.1.6.2.20030620153323.0131d640 at corelis.com> you wrote:

> I understood/assumed 128k is for u-boot only.

Right. It boots over the net.

> The idea is to ship the product with small flash which is large enough hold
> u-boot only.

This is OK, works fine in many systems :-)

> It won't be practical (support nightmare!) for us to ask our customers to
> setup a tftp server in order to use our product.

What's so complicated about this? See for example how  Abatron  ships
their  BDI2000s  -  they  include  a free TFTP server on their floppy
disks which is so simple that even a Windoze user can start it.

> However, if the boot loader is capable of receiving the OS image over the
> network, our PC side application can upload the OS and Ram disk image to
> our custom board the first time it connects to it.
>
> Is this not a good idea?

No, it is not. You are trying to re-invent the wheel.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Mistakes are often the stepping stones to utter failure.