[U-Boot-Users] i386 port of ppcboot

Daniel Engström
Hello all,

I have made a preliminary port of ppcboot to i386 processors.
The code runs on a AMD SC520 CDP (AMD reference design for the SC520 486
system on a chip device) and boots a linux kernel to promt from the on
board
flash.
I am in the process of making a patch file and finding some web-spece to
publish
it on, I will announce when the patch is availabe on the web.
If anyone wants to see it right now, you can email me and ask for the patch
(~38kb compressed).

The code is based on a ppcboot cvs-snapshot from October 28, but I intend
move to U-boot as soon as I have pulished the first version.

/Daniel

[U-Boot-Users] i386 port of ppcboot

Kenneth Johansson
On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 17:49, Daniel Engstr?m wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have made a preliminary port of ppcboot to i386 processors.

Can this boot a standard linux kernel?

I do not know much about the x86 world but don't linux need some
functions from BIOS to start?

--
Kenneth Johansson
Ericsson AB                       Tel: +46 8 404 71 83
164 80 Stockholm                  kenneth.johansson at etx.ericsson.se

[U-Boot-Users] i386 port of ppcboot

Robert Schwebel-2
Daniel,

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 05:49:58PM +0100, Daniel Engstr?m wrote:
> I have made a preliminary port of ppcboot to i386 processors.  The
> code runs on a AMD SC520 CDP (AMD reference design for the SC520 486
> system on a chip device) and boots a linux kernel to promt from the on
> board flash.  I am in the process of making a patch file and finding
> some web-spece to publish it on, I will announce when the patch is
> availabe on the web.  If anyone wants to see it right now, you can
> email me and ask for the patch (~38kb compressed).

Can you post it to the list? 38 kB shouldn't be that bad.

How do you access the SC520 flash? Do you have some kind of a JTAG tool
for it?

Robert
   Braunschweiger Str. 79,  31134 Hildesheim, Germany
   Handelsregister:  Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686
    Phone: +49-5121-28619-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-28619-4

    Visit us at the SPS/IPC/Drives 2002 in Nuernberg!
   Hall 5, Booth 154 +++ Please contact us for details.

[U-Boot-Users] Re: i386 port of ppcboot

Wolfgang Denk
Dear Daniel,

in message <20021112174958.A17196 at jupiter.omicron.se> you wrote:

> I have made a preliminary port of ppcboot to i386 processors.
> The code runs on a AMD SC520 CDP (AMD reference design for the SC520 486
> system on a chip device) and boots a linux kernel to promt from the on
> board
> flash.

Congratulations! Excellent job!

> I am in the process of making a patch file and finding some web-spece to
> publish
> it on, I will announce when the patch is availabe on the web.

Please post it to the list (the size limit of 40  k  should  permit);
plase add an explicit "Cc: wd at denx.de" just in case.

> The code is based on a ppcboot cvs-snapshot from October 28, but I intend
> move to U-boot as soon as I have pulished the first version.

There is probably only little significant change  since  then,  so  I
should be able to merge your patch directly.

Thanks for this valuable contribution!

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
See us @ electronica 2002 in Munich, Nov 12-15, Hall A3, Booth A3.325

[U-Boot-Users] i386 port of ppcboot

Daniel Engström
Kenneth,

On 2002.11.12 18:09 Kenneth Johansson wrote:
> > I have made a preliminary port of ppcboot to i386 processors.
>
> Can this boot a standard linux kernel?
Yes, with or without the ppcboot header.

> I do not know much about the x86 world but don't linux need some
> functions from BIOS to start?
Yes, those three or four BIOS calls that are needed are emulated.
  /Daniel

[U-Boot-Users] Re: i386 port of ppcboot

Daniel Engström
Wolfgang,

On 2002.11.13 07:10 Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> in message <20021112174958.A17196 at jupiter.omicron.se> you wrote:
> >
> > I have made a preliminary port of ppcboot to i386 processors.
> Congratulations! Excellent job!
Oh, thank you.

> Please post it to the list (the size limit of 40  k  should  permit);
> plase add an explicit "Cc: wd at denx.de" just in case.
Ok, I will post a patch that I am preparing later today.

> There is probably only little significant change  since  then,  so  I
> should be able to merge your patch directly.
Please go ahead if you like.
> Thanks for this valuable contribution!
Yea, and also thank my boss who let me work on this stuff for several
weeks...
  /Daniel