[U-Boot-Users] Linux Kernel Config 1.2 for u-boot?

[U-Boot-Users] Linux Kernel Config 1.2 for u-boot?

Holger Schurig
Hi !

Wouldn't it be nice to port lkc-1.2 to u-boot?   I know that OpenZaurus
already uses the system and I liked it there.

Yesterday evening I downloaded lkc-1.2 and patched it a little bit so that it
workes in the u-boot tree. "make xconfig" already works. However, the real
work will be the config.in files.

When I, for example, look at include/configs/dnp1110.h then I see lot's of
defines and comments. With lkc, this would be very different. We would have a
config.in file (most probably more than one file) which defines what is
definable and also contains the code. The default-configs for the the boards
would be automatically done.

This would be a tremendous change of focus, but I guess it might be worth it.
It would give much structure.

Wolfgang, should I send you my tools/lkc-1.2 part of u-boot?

--
MN-Logistik GmbH         http://www.mn-logistik.de
Holger Schurig

[U-Boot-Users] Linux Kernel Config 1.2 for u-boot?

Wolfgang Denk
In message <200211050854.52321.h.schurig at mn-logistik.de> you wrote:

> Wouldn't it be nice to port lkc-1.2 to u-boot?   I know that OpenZaurus
> already uses the system and I liked it there.

Something like that would indeed be nice; it has always been  one  of
the  things  I  tried  to keep in mind - the close resemblance of the
U-Boot config variables to the naming convention as used in Linux  is
intended.

> Yesterday evening I downloaded lkc-1.2 and patched it a little bit so that it
> workes in the u-boot tree. "make xconfig" already works. However, the real
> work will be the config.in files.

Right.

> When I, for example, look at include/configs/dnp1110.h then I see lot's of
> defines and comments. With lkc, this would be very different. We would have a
> config.in file (most probably more than one file) which defines what is
> definable and also contains the code. The default-configs for the the boards
> would be automatically done.
>
> This would be a tremendous change of focus, but I guess it might be worth it.
> It would give much structure.

I looked into creating an old-style  Linux  "make  menuconfig"  setup
some  time ago, but quickly gave up when I saw which amount of effort
was required.

> Wolfgang, should I send you my tools/lkc-1.2 part of u-boot?

Sure, why not? If it's not too big (limit is 40k) you can  even  post
it  to  the list, so others can get check this, too. [Or I can put it
on a FTP server, or even in the CVS.]

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
See us @ electronica 2002 in Munich, Nov 12-15, Hall A3, Booth A3.325

[U-Boot-Users] Linux Kernel Config 1.2 for u-boot?

Holger Schurig
> Sure, why not? If it's not too big (limit is 40k) you can  even  post
> it  to  the list, so others can get check this, too. [Or I can put it
> on a FTP server, or even in the CVS.]

It's a little above 40 kB. So feel free to download

  http://www.mn-logistik.de/unsupported/pxa250/u-boot-kconfig.tar.bz2

and extract it inside your u-boot dir. Then do the following

   export QTDIR=/where/is/your/qt?
   make -C tools/kconfig
   tools/kconfig/qconf config.in

(this could be integrated into the makefiles, but for now I was lazy)

The result will be a .config file that one can include in Makefiles or C
source code. Currently it is not included anywhere, it's just created.
However, it should give you an idea on what would be possible, even with the
simple "config.in" files that I made.

However, lkc can ONLY handle variables with CONFIG_ at the beginning.
Therefore I propose that --- on the long run --- some CFG_ variables get
renamed to CONFIG_. For example, it would be very nice if one would have the
available-command selection in "make xconfig"/"make menuconfig".