[U-Boot-Users] Ethernet Address

Dhanuka, Anupam

Hi

When I first started up my board (ebony) with u-boot, I set the Ethernet
address incorrectly. Instead of using the colon format
(00:04:ac:e3:1c:4c) I entered the hex values all together(0004ace31c4c).
So I think now the Ethernet address environment variable is permanently
wrong. When I use the command bdi it says ethhaddr = 4c:00:00:00:00:00.
Is there a way to fix this, may be by using the JTAG hardware debugger
or something?

Please help.

Anupam

This message (including any attachments) may contain confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not the intended recipient, delete this message. If you are not the intended recipient, disclosing, copying, distributing, or taking any action based on this message is strictly prohibited.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

[U-Boot-Users] Ethernet Address

Wolfgang Denk
In message <2692A548B75777458914AC89297DD7DA026FADA0 at bronze.dolby.net> you wrote:

> When I first started up my board (ebony) with u-boot, I set the Ethernet
> address incorrectly. Instead of using the colon format
> (00:04:ac:e3:1c:4c) I entered the hex values all together(0004ace31c4c).
> So I think now the Ethernet address environment variable is permanently
> wrong. When I use the command bdi it says ethhaddr =3D 4c:00:00:00:00:00.
> Is there a way to fix this, may be by using the JTAG hardware debugger
> or something?

Assuming you store your environment in flash:

- use "protect off" command to make sector containing the environment
  writable
- use "erase" to erase sector containing the environment
- "reset", and the board will come up with it's default environment

Just using "mw 0 0;cp 0 <addr> 1" instead of  the  erase  will  work,
too, as it will overwrite the CRC32 checksum.

If you don;t want to lose  your  existting  environment  definitions,
trickier  approaches  are possible, too: copy the environment to RAM,
edit it using "mm", compute a new checksum and store it to the  start
of  the envrionment (easy to be done with "crc32" command), and write
it back to where you store it (flash, eeprom, etc.).

TIMTOWTDI.

> This message (including any attachments) may contain confidential=
>  information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not=
>  the intended recipient, delete this message. If you are not the intended=
>  recipient, disclosing, copying, distributing, or taking any action based=
>  on this message is strictly prohibited.

Please delete this nonsense, at least when posting to publich mailing
lists.

> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C33D19.4389C548

And *please* do not post HTML!

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
core error - bus dumped